Thursday 8 March 2012

Panic Room!


Each year, the  Au Vieux Panier in Marseille, France commissions graphic designers, artists, and painters to redesign 6 rooms inside the hotel. One of the Artist Commissioned this year was graffiti artist, Tilt to design what they call the 'Panic Room'...


They start off with a completely White Room

The artist is given full “Carte Blanche” to do as they please. The idea is to offer artists a three-dimensional canvas and for hotel guests to experience art first hand. The Room Design remains for one year only, until new artists get commissioned.

All the Medium Used
Tilt thought about the interior as a “huge canvas” and invited some of his old 'Tagger' friends to assist in the installation. The “half-graff” concept is meant to accentuate the differences between the Chaotic Colourful side of the room and the Clean, White side. 
And so the process begins...

 



The Artist says:
"The hotel Au vieux panier asked me to design a room, I first told them that I wasn't interested doing just decoration in the room but I wanted to create something that will look more like an installation. It took one week to do the whole thing because the idea was to exaggerate what you can usually see in some abandoned places. Too much 'Tags', too much 'Drips', too much sentences, too much 'Throw-ups' … What I also wanted to show is that people can appreciate any type of graffiti, even the more basic, it’s all  a matter of Point-of-View"
Tilt (Right) and his Team in the finished room
The Contrast of the White Side ...
... to the Graffiti Side
A clean line between the contrasting sides:

I must make it there within the year, before it’s gone, just to be able to say that I've been there! I'm Q-rious to know if you would stay in a room like this?


[All Photographs compliments of BigAddict]

2 comments:

  1. Cra-a-a-azy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed ... Don't know if I would be able to sleep in this room ... My mind would be so busy ;) But I would definitely Love to Visit!

      Thanks for Visiting!

      ♥ Marina B

      Delete